To organise its editorial processes and its library, Wikistan uses the research assistant software and the group features of Zotero. Like Wikistan, Zotero is a non-profit organisation initiated by the scientific community, therefore fully in-tune with our project’s values.
Zotero groups, in particular, allow sharing and shaping a digital library and the Reader together with the Central Eurasian Research community. Wikistan proposes two groups:
- ‘Wikistan Library’ contains all the references already reviewed in the Reader. It is open to all users and editable only by the administrators. Thanks to this feature, any user can get a quick access to a fully referenced library of key publications in Central Eurasian Studies, you can access it here.
- ‘Wikistan Workflow’ is the space reserved to Wikistan’s contributors and serves to coordinate the editorial chain of on-going reviews. To allow for a good distribution of the work and for a good information flow within the team, certain rules should be followed, outlined below.
Accessing Wikistan’s Zotero group
- Install Zotero and create an account: https://www.zotero.org/;
- You are invited to the Zotero group ‘Wikistan Workflow’;
- Make sure you enabled data syncing. For that, click on the little ‘sync’ icon on the top right of your Zotero panel (in the desktop app) and follow the instructions. Cf. https://www.zotero.org/support/sync#data_syncing;
- Once you sync your account again, an icon with ‘group libraries’ should appear on the left and below it a ‘New Reviews’ folder;
- Within the folder, the state of the references are marked with colour tags:
- An blue tag means that the review has been written and is to be edited and uploaded by the editorial team;
- An green tag means that the review has been taken in charge by a collaborator of Wikistan;
- A purple tag means that a review has been demanded to a collaborator;
- A red tag means that a review is not yet attributed.
Reviewing a publication
- If you are interested in reviewing a given publication, two possibilities:
- The publication is already in the library and marked in red. Then go further to point 2;
- The publication is not yet in the library. In that case, you can import it to the library (see below). If you need to order a review copy, please write to email@example.com with the indication of the postal address it should be sent to;
- Mark the reference with a green tag (‘Attributed’) and with a tag corresponding to your name (First Name Last Name);
- Please, kindly add a note with the prospective date when you think you will finish the review – this is mostly for organisational matters. You can change the date afterwards, but in case of long delays you will be kindly asked to inform the editorial management;
- Work on the review – please refer to the editorial norms;
- Once the review is finished, please attach it to the reference as a .doc file (right-click on the reference) and replace the green tag with a blue one. The editorial management will then get in touch with you about the finalisation of the review and publish it on Wikistan as soon as the editorial process is finished.
Add a publication to the library
If the publication is well referenced, you can easily import it to the library via its ISBN or DOI, or thanks to the browser ‘Zotero connector’. If not, you should enter the reference by hand.
To fill out the different sections, please refer to the list of Zotero’s types and fields. In addition, certain specificities of Wikistan’s library should be observed:
- All titles and names should be transcribed into Latin alphabet in accordance to the transcription table;
- For many journal articles published in Russia or in Central Asian countries, the volume corresponds to the year of publication;
- The language should be indicated as ISO-639-1 two-letter code;
- In ‘extra’, please add the following sections, if they apply:
- If the title of the publication is not in English, please add: ’translated-title:’ followed by the English translation of the title
- ‘Appendixes’, followed by possible appendixes, such as bibliographies, tables, illustrations etc.