A recurrent lacuna of the modern historiography of Central Asia, the history of local schools (maktabs, madrasas) is illustrated in this article by an archive document of 1887, emanating from the Russian colonial administration, on vernacular teaching in the uezd of Andijan (Central State Archive of Uzbekistan, fund 19, list 1, file 12,554). This relatively long document provides a list of teaching institutions specifying, for each, its name, the amount of pupils or students, its yearly income, its precise location, its year of foundation. Whence eleven pages of the documents are reserved to the twenty-six institutions created between 1826 and 1886, five institutions only, of modest dimension, have been recorded for the period from the sixteenth to the eighteenth century: the maktabs of Khwaja Nazir Ataliq (1586, ten pupils in 1887), of Baba-Jan Khalfa (1636, nine pupils in 1887), of Nur Mirza Bay (1781, eight pupils), and of Sufi Ata (1791, nine pupils) in the volost’ of Baliqchi, and the maktab of Shadman Khwaja (1796, ten pupils in 1887) in the volost’ of the Naryn River. These data are accompanied by a general comment on the evolution of teaching in the Fergana Valley during the considered period of time.
Data on the nineteenth century have been enriched (notably through waqf-namas from the same archive collection, and Russian-made statistics of the early 1900s) and systematised by the same author in a more recent paper: “xix asrda Quqon khonligining Andijon bekligidagi maktab va madrasalar [The Nineteenth-Century Maktabs and Madrasas of the Appanage of Andijan in the Khanate of Kokand],” ibid. 2007/1: 13-22. In this study, I. Alimov has been exploiting some recently discovered archive documents on twenty-six teaching institutions of the appanage of Andijan, with data on their year of foundation, their waqf properties and income, the amount of their teachers and pupils or students, and even the names of their respective mudarrises. Special paragraphs are devoted to prominent institutions built in Andijan itself by men in high places at the court of Kokand: the madrasas of Rahman-Quli Bay (founded 1808), of ‘Isa Dadkhwah (1826), of Khal-Bik Qushbigi (1831), of Aq-Masjid (1838), of Musulman-Qul (1841), of Nasr al-Din Bik (1867, reconstructed in 1878), of ‘Abd al-Rahman Aftabachi (1873). They are followed by paragraphs on institutions of lesser size constructed during the same period of time in rural districts of the region of Andijan, the waqf-namas of which have been preserved in the Central State Archive of Uzbekistan.